Monday, September 6, 2010

Formaggio di Italia

    
   Mozzarella di Bufala.  A specialty of the Campana region of South West Italia.  There is nothing in Italy that makes my taste buds as happy as this.  Having the opportunity to visit a water buffalo farm where the cheese is being produced literally 20 feet away from the pens of buffalo was an amazing experience.  For this I am forever grateful to my group's private driver, Raffaele Iaccarino.  He picked us up from our hotel in Sorrento and drove us down to Paestum.  He waited for us to tour the complex of temples and the museum, before he took us to our amazing lunch.  Raffaele got us a backstage tour of the mozzarella factory.  Sadly they had just finished making the cheese we were about to consume.  

   From the second I took a bite of the literally minutes fresh mozzarella I was hooked for life.  When I tried the SMOKED Mozzarella di Bufala I thought my tongue was going to fall off.  Couple this with the good wine, good friends, and our singing friend Raffaele, this makes the Paestum excursion one of my best memories from Italy.



1 comment:

  1. I do believe those are my boobs across the table. =P

    That was such a good trip! He was worth every Euro!

    ReplyDelete